Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Technoblog.....

I probably should have waited longer since trying to get my image generator to work before writing this entry. There are some really innovative and fun tools for us to use, but as I look at replacing a staff member I'm going to look for someone techno-savvy since (Nebraska Learns 2.0 not withstanding) I just don't see myself manging all of this very well.

Just like the old joke about how to get to Carnegie Hall, the key is practice, practice, practice. My work time is booked solid, and my personal time is precious -- when does that practice happen? We all have patrons who want to know about and use the newest gimmicks out there, but what exactly is our responsibility to them? Providing the resources in hardware and software? Providing trained staff to teach use of these tools? As technology advances at the speed of light, just where do we get the time and resources to keep up? And when we can't, how do we set priorities on what we will do?

Obviously these exercises have created more questions for me than answers. But at least now, with the guidance of NELearns 2.0 I know more about what I'm missing!

4 comments:

MM said...

I think the new technology should be looked at as a way to change the things we already do and not things that just add to our duties.

With Flickr and those related tools from last week, it's "easy" to find photos for presentations or signage and programming at your library. Those are things we'd have to do anyway. This is really just a new way to do it.

QuiltinLibraryLady said...

Lauran--You raise some good questions about what we owe our patrons in the way of new technologies. My opinion is that we are libraries, not computer training schools. We make computers and at least basic software available to our patrons as well as instructional books that they can use to teach themselves. If we have someone on staff who is able & willing to do some teaching of basic computer skills we may offer a few computer classes. We may help patrons do basic things on a 1-on-1 basis during the course of a day. However, I don't think we need to hold ourselves responsible for teaching our patrons all the ins & outs of all this new technology. My story & I'm sticking to it. -- Linda, Orchard

learning new things said...

I agree with Quiltin' Librarylady. We don't owe it to the patron to teach them how to use the new "toys". But it does help if we at least have some idea of what the "toys" and new technology things are. That way we can at least know what they are talking about and possibly halp them to go where they could learn about the new gadgets or "toys"

Operations said...

No it isn't our job to teach patron how to work every new widget on the web. We don't have the time and probably even lack the desire.

On the other hand: "Give a man a fish he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish he eats for a lifetime."

Most of the stuff we have been working with uses a very similar architecture and in many cases similar terminology. If you can just get them so that they understand two things the amount of help they need should go down.

1) Apply what you already know from other things and you are probably over halfway to understanding this one.

2) Nothing simple is ever easy.

~0ps