Monday, December 22, 2008

Library 2.0 and counting

I read several of the perspectives, and must admit that the more I read the more dismayed I became. Away From Icebergs I discounted a bit due to the academic point of view -- we saw the same thing when I was last in a college position in the mid-1990s, but circulation at the public libraries I've been with since 1998 have continued to rise. That is in large part due to being responsive to patron "wants," not just "needs," which leads me to Librarian 2.0.

Libraries have been adapting for years, but with the advent of technology things are coming at us with lightning speed. I found the Librarian 2.0 perspective to be rather intimidating -- with all the good intentions in the world I just don't see myself being effective in the many "new" roles librarians need to play. My retirement being just around the corner may be a good things for my patrons!

I finished up with Temporary place in time -- I kind of like the idea of a 3D librarian in a cozy country manor. Maybe that will be my next job.

No comments: